Do you travel much? No? Well, you should.
I think it's important for everyone to get out of their day-to-day grind once in a blue moon and just hit the open road. I recently went on a week long excursion and it didn't break me. Let me tell you how.
These are my receipts.
There's a ton of them from a number of different places (including the kennel where I housed my doggie). But what's important to know is that there are only 3 from fast food places. The other food receips are from... (drum roll please)... GROCERY STORES!
I know what you're thinking. "J-Bird, that's silly! Why would you go to the grocery store on vacation?". The answer is elementary. It's cheaper that way.
Of the $177.79 we spent on food only $55.64 was spent on take-out. And because I was feeding four people that honestly only amounts to 2 meals and some snacks!
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to do when you drop $25 at McD's.
So, I trucked on over to the local grocery and bought food for the mini fridge. There was a small microwave in the eating room where they served the continental breakfast and that's how we survived. It just seemed like the smart thing to do.
Then when it came time to really drop dime we could.
Spending less on food gives you wiggle room for souvenirs and other touristy things. Plus super emergencies like coffee or cigs. <-- it's a bad habit I know and they weren't for me.
I also did some hotel shopping ($56/night) and busted out the good ol' Entertainment Book. Plus, we got a free upgrade on our rented vehicle ($29.99/day) which gave us much needed leg room.
It still came to over $1400 but that was for one week's travel for four people! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment